End of Quick search
Lead statementCarpenters construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and components of structures made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials. They are employed by construction companies, carpentry contractors, and maintenance departments of factories, plants and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
- metal framer – carpentry
- apprentice carpenter
- maintenance carpenter
- stair builder-carpenter
- rough carpenter
- finish carpenter
- journeyman/woman carpenter
- renovation carpenter
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
or A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in carpentry is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Trade certification for carpenters is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
- Trade certification for framers is available, but voluntary, in Saskatchewan.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified carpenters upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Supervisors of carpenters
72047204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades)
- Woodworking machine operators