7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers
End of Quick search
Lead statementTelecommunications line and cable workers install, repair and maintain telecommunication lines and cables. They are employed by cable television companies and by telephone and other telecommunications services.
- apprentice lineman/woman – telecommunications
- cable repairer, telecommunications
- communication technician – construction
- construction technician – cable television
- lineman/woman, telecommunications
- splicer technician – telephone
- telecommunications line installer
- telephone line technician
- Telecommunications line and cable workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Install, remove, maintain and repair aerial and underground telephone and other telecommunication transmission and distribution lines, cables and associated hardware
- Install (but do not repair or maintain) cable television lines and cables
- Splice and repair various types and sizes of telephone and other telecommunication cables including single line, coaxial and fibre optic
- Inspect and test telecommunication transmission lines and cables for transmission characteristics and to locate faults
- Analyze and record test results
- Climb and work aloft on poles, ladders or other support structures or work in confined spaces such as trenches, tunnels and crawl spaces
- Communicate with other workers to co-ordinate the preparation and completion of work assignments
- Assist in the erection and removal of telecommunication poles, towers and associated support structures
- May operate excavation machinery and other heavy equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a four-year telecommunications line and cable apprenticeship program
or A combination of over three years work experience in the trade and some industry- related or other specialized courses
or Completion of a two-year college program in electronics is usually required.
- Trade certification for communications electrician (construction craft) is available, but voluntary, in Alberta, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Cable television service and maintenance technicians
- Electrical power line and cable workers
- Supervisors of telecommunications line and cable workers
72027202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations)
- Telecommunications installation and repair workers