7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
End of Quick search
Lead statementElectricians in this unit group lay out, assemble, install, test, troubleshoot and repair electrical wiring, fixtures, control devices and related equipment in buildings and other structures. They are employed by electrical contractors and maintenance departments of buildings and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
- apprentice electrician
- construction electrician apprentice
- domestic and rural electrician
- construction electrician
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program is usually required.
- Trade certification for construction electricians is compulsory in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta and available, but voluntary, in British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Trade certification for electricians (domestic and rural) is compulsory in Newfoundland and Labrador and Ontario.
- Trade certification for electrical control (machine) builders is available, but voluntary, in Ontario.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified construction electricians upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Electrical mechanics
- Industrial electricians
- Power system electricians
- Supervisors of electricians
72027202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations)