7231 Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors
End of Quick search
Lead statementMachinists set up and operate a variety of machine tools to cut or grind metal, plastic or other materials to make or modify parts or products with precise dimensions. Machining and tooling inspectors inspect machined parts and tooling in order to maintain quality control standards. They are employed by machinery, equipment, motor vehicle, automotive parts, aircraft and other metal products manufacturing companies and by machine shops.
- machined parts inspector
- tooling inspector
- general machinist
- machine shop inspector
- machining inspector
- machinist apprentice
- automotive machinist
- aviation machinist
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a four-year apprenticeship program
or A combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some college and industry courses in machining may be required for trade certification.
- Trade certification for machinists is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- Trade certification for tool and gauge inspectors is available, but voluntary, in Ontario.
- Trade certification for machinists (CNC) is available, but voluntary, in New Brunswick, Quebec and Manitoba.
- Several years of experience as a machinist, tool and die maker or machining tool operator may be required for machining and tooling inspectors.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified machinists upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Familiarity with exotic and composite materials may be required for machinists in aviation and other advanced manufacturing sectors.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- CAD-CAM programmers
22332233 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians)
- Contractors and supervisors, machining, metal forming, shaping and erecting trades and related occupations
- Machining tool operators
- Tool and die makers