6541 Security guards and related security service occupations
End of Quick search
Lead statementThis unit group includes workers who guard and implement security measures to protect property against theft, vandalism and fire, control access to establishments, maintain order and enforce regulations at public events and within establishments, conduct private investigations for clients or employers and provide other protective services not elsewhere classified. They are employed by public or private security agencies, residential complexes, educational, cultural, financial and health institutions, retail establishments, businesses and industry, investigation service companies, transportation facilities, and organizations throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
- automatic teller machine (ATM) guard
- bodyguard (except police)
- theft prevention officer
- alarm investigator
- house detective
- airport security guard
- gate attendant – security
- postal inspection officer
- preboarding security guard
- night guard
- private investigator
- corporate security officer
- security guard
- private security officer
- store detective
- armoured car guard
- retail loss prevention officer
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A college diploma in law and security or police technology may be required.
- Training is provided for airport security guards and establishment-specific training may be provided for security occupations in this unit group.
- Security guards carrying firearms require a licence.
- Armoured car drivers require a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) for both restricted and non-restricted firearms.
- In Quebec, a permit issued by the Sûreté du Québec is required to work as a private detective or security officer.
- Corporate security officers may require experience as a police officer.
- Private investigators require provincial licensure.
- Responsible beverage service certification is usually required for security staff in establishments serving alcoholic beverages.
- Correctional service officers
- Managers of security agencies
01250125 Other business services managers)
- Police officers (except commissioned)
- Supervisors of security guards and related occupations
63166316 Other services supervisors)