End of Quick search
Lead statementCooks prepare and cook a wide variety of foods. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, hospitals and other health care institutions, central food commissaries, educational institutions and other establishments. Cooks are also employed aboard ships and at construction and logging campsites. Apprentice cooks are included in this unit group.
- apprentice cook
- dietary cook
- first cook
- grill cook
- hospital cook
- institutional cook
- journeyman/woman cook
- licensed cook
- line cook
- second cook
- short order cook
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three-year apprenticeship program for cooks
or Completion of college or other program in cooking
or Several years of commercial cooking experience are required.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified cooks upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- There is mobility among the various types of cooks in this group.
- Progression to supervisory or more senior positions, such as chef, is possible with experience and training.
- Food counter attendants, kitchen helpers and related support occupations