5112 Conservators and curators
End of Quick search
Lead statementConservators restore and conserve artifacts belonging to museums, galleries and owners of cultural property. Curators recommend the acquisition of museum artifacts and gallery works of art and research their artistic history. Conservators and curators are employed in museums, art galleries and universities. Conservators may be self-employed.
- art gallery conservator
- conservator – art objects
- conservator – museum
- historical artifact conservator
- natural history museum curator
- Conservators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Examine artifacts, determine their condition, suggest methods for treating them and recommend preventive conservation techniques to their owners
- Restore and conserve paintings, photographs, sculptures, furniture, pottery and other museum and art gallery artifacts
- Provide advice on display and storage of museum and gallery artifacts to ensure proper maintenance and preservation
- Research new conservation and restoration techniques
- Provide consultation to museums, art galleries or private individuals
- Supervise conservation technicians and other museum technicians.
- Curators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Recommend the acquisition of paintings, photographs, sculptures, documents and other museum and art gallery artifacts
- Research origins and artistic history of artifacts
- Develop storylines and themes and organize displays and exhibitions
- Co-ordinate the storage of collections and the setting up of displays and exhibitions
- Oversee the conservation, display and circulation of collections
- Supervise curatorial assistants and other museum technicians.
- Conservators require a master's degree in art conservation
or Completion of a three-year college program in conservation technology and several years of experience in conservation work.
- Curators require a master's or bachelor's degree in museology, art history or a field related to their specific area of work.
- Progression to museum or art gallery management positions is possible with experience.
- Curatorial assistants
52125212 Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries)
- Museum designers
52435243 Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers)
- Museum educators
11231123 Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations)
- Restaurateurs in food services
06310631 Restaurant and food service managers)