4413 Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
End of Quick search
Lead statementElementary and secondary school teacher assistants support students, and assist teachers and counsellors with teaching and non-instructional tasks. They assist in areas of personal care, teaching and behaviour management under the supervision of teachers or other child care professionals. They are employed in public and private elementary, secondary and special needs schools and treatment centres.
- secondary school teacher's assistant
- special education assistant
- homework assistant
- school lunchroom supervisor
- educational resources assistant
- remedial education aide
- educational assistant
- elementary school teacher's aide
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Teacher assistants usually require completion of a 10-month college program in teaching assistance, educational assistance or other social science program.
- Teacher assistants who help students with special needs usually require specialized training and experience.
- Mobility to other occupations related to child care and adolescent supportive instruction is possible with experience.
- Early childhood educators and assistants
- Elementary school and kindergarten teachers
- Instructors of persons with disabilities
- Post-secondary teaching and research assistants