End of Quick search
Lead statementFirefighters carry out firefighting and fire prevention activities, and assist in other emergencies. They are employed by municipal, provincial and federal governments and by large industrial establishments that have internal firefighting services.
- airport firefighter
- fire captain
- firefighter, shipboard
- industrial firefighter
- lieutenant, firefighters
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a college program in fire protection technology, fire science or a related field may be required.
- Firefighting and emergency medical care training courses are provided and vary in length depending on the requirements of different fire departments or services.
- An apprenticeship training program for firefighters and voluntary trade certification is available in New Brunswick.
- Experience as a volunteer firefighter may be an advantage.
- Physical agility, strength, fitness and vision requirements must be met.
- Several years of experience are required for senior firefighters, such as lieutenants and captains.
- Progression to senior positions such as fire chief is possible with additional training and several years of experience.
- Fire chiefs and senior firefighting officers
- Forest firefighters
84228422 Silviculture and forestry workers)
32343234 Paramedical occupations)