3213 Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementAnimal health technologists and veterinary technicians provide technical support to veterinarians by caring for animals and assisting in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health disorders. They are employed in veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, animal shelters, humane societies, zoos, animal research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies and government. Animal health technologists and veterinary technicians who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- veterinary technician
- animal health technologist
- animal health technician
- veterinary technologist
- laboratory animal technician
- registered veterinary technician (RVT)
- veterinarian assistant
- Completion of a two- or three-year animal health/veterinary technology college program is required.
- Successful completion of a national registration examination may be required in some employment settings.
- Registration with provincial animal health technologists' or veterinary technicians' associations is available, and is mandatory in some provinces.
- With experience, animal health technologists and veterinary technicians may progress to supervisory positions.
- Pet groomers and animal care workers