3211 Medical laboratory technologists
End of Quick search
Lead statementMedical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, blood banks, community and private clinics, research facilities and post-secondary educational institutions. Medical laboratory technologists who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- clinical immunology technologist
- medical laboratory technologist
- cytogenetics technologist – medical laboratory
- medical technologist – medical laboratory
- histology technologist
- immunohematology technologist
- medical laboratory supervisor
- A two- or three-year college program in medical laboratory technology is required
and A period of supervised practical training may be required.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
- Certification by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science is usually required by employers.
- Life science technologists in non-medical laboratories
22212221 Biological technologists and technicians)
- Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
- Science technologists in non-medical laboratories
22112211 Chemical technologists and technicians)