3144 Other professional occupations in therapy and assessment
End of Quick search
Lead statementThis unit group includes specialized therapists not elsewhere classified who use techniques such as athletic, movement, art or recreational therapy to aid in the treatment of mental and physical disabilities or injuries. They are employed by establishments such as hospitals, rehabilitation centres, extended health care facilities, clinics, recreational centres, nursing homes, industry, educational institutions and sports organizations, or they may work in private practice.
- exercise physiologist
- certified athletic therapist (CAT)
- registered dance therapist (DTR)
- human kineticist
- athletic therapist
- art therapist
- movement therapist
- music therapist
- recreational therapist
- drama therapist
- certified kinesiologist
- Kinesiologists usually require a master's degree in kinesiology or human kinetics.
- Certification for kinesiologists is available through the Canadian Kinesiology Alliance.
- Athletic therapists require a bachelor's degree in sport therapy, or a degree in health sciences with a specialization in sports injury management.
- Art therapists require a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's degree in art therapy.
- Music therapists require a bachelor's degree in psychology and a master's degree in music therapy.
- Dance therapists require a bachelor's degree in psychology, and usually require a master's degree in art, drama or movement therapy.
- Recreational therapists usually require a bachelor's degree in recreation with a specialization in therapeutic recreation.
- Supervised practical training is usually required for occupations in this unit group.
- Creative or technical ability in the field of specialization is usually required.
- Certification or membership with the appropriate national professional association or provincial counterpart may be required.
- There is no mobility between the different occupations in this unit group.
- Family, marriage and other related counsellors
- Occupational therapists
- Recreation, sports and fitness policy researchers, consultants and program officers
- Technical assistants in therapy and assessment
32373237 Other technical occupations in therapy and assessment)