3124 Allied primary health practitioners
End of Quick search
Lead statementThis unit group includes nurse practitioners, physician assistants and midwives who provide primary health care and treatment in conjunction with physicians and in collaboration with other health professionals. Nurse practitioners and physician assistants provide a range of health services to patients delivering preventive and continuous care toward the management of patients' health. Midwives provide full-course care to women and their babies during the pre- and post-natal period. Nurse practitioners are employed in community health centres, hospitals, clinics and rehabilitation centres. Physician assistants usually work in private practice, including group or team practices, hospitals and clinics. Midwives are employed in hospitals, clinics, birthing centres or in private practice.
- nurse practitioner – extended class
- nurse practitioner
- physician assistant
- anesthesia assistant
- Nurse practitioners usually require a master's degree in nursing; or completion of a nursing program with additional advanced or extended primary health care nursing education; and several years of practice as a registered nurse.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required for nurse practitioners in all provinces and territories.
- Physician assistants require completion of a university degree in a physician assistant program.
- Physician assistants require registration with a regulatory body in Manitoba and New Brunswick.
- Midwives require completion of an undergraduate university degree program in midwifery or its equivalent and a period of supervised practical training.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required for midwives in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- There is no mobility between these occupations without further training.
- General practitioners and family physicians
- Managers in health care
- Other professional occupations in health diagnosing and treating
- Practitioners of natural healing
- Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses
- Specialist physicians