2282 User support technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementTechnicians in this unit group provide first-line technical support to computer users experiencing difficulties with computer hardware and with computer applications and communications software. They are employed by computer hardware manufacturers and retailers, software developers, in call centres and in information technology units throughout the public and private sectors. Technicians in this unit group are also employed by independent technical support companies or they may be self-employed.
- systems support representative
- software installation technician
- hardware installation technician
- user support technician
- help desk technician
- call centre agent – technical support
- technical support analyst – systems
- technical support supervisor
- computer help desk supervisor
- computer help desk representative – systems
- client support representative – systems
- hardware technical support analyst
- software technical support analyst
- Completion of a college program in computer science, computer programming or network administration is usually required.
- College or other courses in computer programming or network administration are usually required.
- Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.
- Progression to computer programming, interactive media development, Web development or systems analysis is possible with experience.
- Computer network technicians
- Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- Information systems analysts and consultants
- Information systems testing technicians