2281 Computer network technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementComputer network technicians establish, operate, maintain and co-ordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. They set up and maintain Internet and intranet Web sites and Web-server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Supervisors of computer network technicians are included in this unit group.
- network support technician
- Web technician
- data centre operator
- LAN (local area network) administrator
- computer network technicians' supervisor
- network administrator
- system administrator
- Internet Web site technician
- computer network technician
- LAN (local area network) technician
- Completion of a college or other program in computer science, network administration, Web technology or a related field is usually required.
- Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required in Saskatchewan.
- Progression to computer programming, interactive media development, Web development or systems analysis is possible with experience.
- Advertising, marketing and public relations managers
- Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- Information systems testing technicians
- User support technicians
- Web designers and developers