2273 Deck officers, water transport
End of Quick search
Lead statementDeck officers, water transport, operate and command ships or self-propelled vessels to transport passengers and cargo on oceans and coastal and inland waters, and supervise and co-ordinate the activities of deck crews. This unit group also includes Canadian Coast Guard deck officers. They are employed by marine transportation companies and federal government departments.
- Coast Guard vessel navigation officer
- deck officer – water transport
- ship's captain
- master mariner
- ship second mate
- ship third mate
- Coast Guard vessel first watchkeeping officer
- tugboat captain
- ship pilot
- Coast Guard vessel watchkeeping officer
- ferryboat master
- ship's mate
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of deck officer cadet program from an approved nautical institute
or One to three years of experience as a member of a deck crew is required.
- A deck officer certificate of competency, issued by Transport Canada, is required.
- For ship pilots, a ship pilot licence and a master certificate of competency are required.
- Transport Canada administers a deck officer certification program, consisting of several levels. Progression from one level of certification to the next requires additional experience, training and testing.
- Mobility between employers is possible for positions requiring the same level of certification.
- Progression to management positions in transportation is possible with experience.
- Engineer officers, water transport
- Fishing masters and officers
- Shore captains
07310731 Managers in transportation)
- Water transport deck and engine room crew