2241 Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementElectrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians may work independently or provide technical support and services in the design, development, testing, production and operation of electrical and electronic equipment and systems. They are employed by electrical utilities, communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, and in governments and a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries.
- electronics design technologist
- electronics engineering technician
- electronics engineering technologist
- electronics manufacturing technician
- electronics manufacturing technologist
- lighting technologist
- production support technician – electronics manufacturing
- electricity distribution network technologist
- communications technologist
- electrical engineering technician
- electrical engineering technologist
- microwave maintenance technician
- metering technologist
- Completion of a two- or three-year college program in electrical or electronics engineering technology, computer engineering technology, telecommunications technology or an equivalent is usually required for electrical or electronics engineering technologists.
- Completion of a one- or two-year college program in electrical or electronics engineering technology is usually required for electrical or electronics engineering technicians.
- Certification in electrical or electronics engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required for some positions.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body for professional technologists is required to use the title "Professional Technologist."
- There is mobility to other related occupations such as technical sales, electronics service technicians, instrument technicians and avionics technicians.
- Progression to managerial positions in engineering, production or operations is possible with experience.
- Aircraft instrument, electrical and avionics mechanics, technicians and inspectors
- Electronic service technicians (household and business equipment)
- Engineering managers
- Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
- Manufacturing managers
- Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade