2231 Civil engineering technologists and technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementCivil engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals, or may work independently in fields such as structural engineering, municipal engineering, construction design and supervision, highways and transportation engineering, water resources engineering, geotechnical engineering and environmental protection. They are employed by consulting engineering and construction companies, public works, transportation and other government departments and in many other industries.
- bridge design technician
- building materials technician
- soil technologist – civil engineering
- civil engineering technician
- civil engineering technologist
- construction specifications writer
- foundation technologist
- highway technician
- municipal engineering assistant
- structural design technologist
- structural investigator
- construction technologist
- Completion of a two- or three-year college program in civil engineering technology or a closely related discipline is usually required for civil engineering technologists.
- Completion of a one- or two-year college program in civil engineering technology is usually required for civil engineering technicians.
- Certification in civil engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required for some positions.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body for professional technologists is required to use the title "Professional Technologist."
- There is mobility to related occupations, such as drafting technologists and technicians and construction inspectors and estimators.
- Progression to construction supervisors or construction managers is possible with experience.
- Architectural technologists and technicians
- Construction estimators
- Construction inspectors
- Construction managers
- Drafting technologists and technicians
- Land survey technologists and technicians
- Urban and land use planners