2222 Agricultural and fish products inspectors
End of Quick search
Lead statementAgricultural and fish products inspectors inspect agricultural and fish products for conformity to prescribed production, storage and transportation standards. They are employed by government departments and agencies and by private sector food processing companies. Supervisors of agricultural and fish products inspectors are also included in this group.
- agricultural products inspector
- crop certification inspector
- dairy products inspector
- fish inspector
- fish products inspector
- fruit and vegetables inspector
- grain inspector
- livestock inspector
- meat inspector
- plant protection inspector
- poultry inspector
- supervisor, agricultural products inspection
- supervisor, fish products inspection
- The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Fish and fish products inspectors inspect fish, fish products, fish handling and processing methods and prepare reports and ensure that regulations are followed.
- Fruit and vegetables inspectors inspect fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables at inspection centres and prepare reports on crop production and market conditions.
- Grain inspectors inspect and grade all classes of grain at terminal elevators, monitor the fumigation of infested grain, and examine storage, handling and transportation equipment to ensure that sanitary procedures are followed.
- Meat inspectors monitor the operations and sanitary conditions of slaughtering and meat processing plants and inspect carcasses to ensure they are fit for human consumption.
- Plant protection inspectors certify seed crops, oversee the quarantine, treatment or destruction of plants and plant products, and the fumigation of plants and plant product imports and exports.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Government inspectors usually require a bachelor's degree or college diploma in agriculture, biology, chemistry, food processing technology or a related discipline.
- Inspectors (other than government) may require a bachelor's degree or college diploma in a related discipline.
- Several years of experience in agricultural production or fish processing are usually required.
- Completion of in-house training courses is required.
- Progression to managerial positions in this field is possible with experience.
- Biological technologists and technicians
- Fish graders and meat graders who perform routine quality control duties or tally landed fish
94659465 Testers and graders, food, beverage and associated products processing)
- Forestry technologists and technicians
- Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety