2211 Chemical technologists and technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementChemical technologists and technicians provide technical support and services or may work independently in chemical engineering, chemical and biochemical research and analysis, industrial chemistry, chemical quality control and environmental protection. They are employed by research and development and quality control laboratories, consulting engineering companies, in chemical, petrochemical, pharmaceutical and a variety of other manufacturing and processing industries, and by utilities, health, educational and government establishments.
- chemical technician
- paint technician
- chemical analyst
- biochemistry technologist
- chemical laboratory analyst
- quality control technician – chemical processing
- mass spectrometer technician
- geochemical technician
- quality control technician – food processing
- chemical research technician
- chemical engineering technician
- chemical technologist
- master dyer – textiles
- pilot plant technician
- chemical engineering technologist
- formulation technician
- industrial hygiene technologist
- food technologist
- forensic handwriting expert
- documents examiner – applied chemistry
- Chemical technologists usually require completion of a two- or three-year college program in chemical, biochemical or chemical engineering technology or a closely related discipline.
- Chemical technicians usually require completion of a one- or two-year college program in chemical, biochemical or chemical engineering technology.
- National certification for chemical technologists and technicians is available through the Canadian Society for Chemical Technology.
- Certification in chemical engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required by employers.
- Chemical technologists and technicians are regulated in Quebec and Alberta.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- Considerable mobility is possible among jobs within this occupational group.
- Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.
- Some chemical technologists and technicians working in support of fundamental research in chemistry or biochemistry are university graduates.
- Biochemistry technologists working as medical laboratory technologists
32113211 Medical laboratory technologists)
- Process technicians who operate the controls of chemical or petrochemical processing plants
92329232 Central control and process operators, petroleum, gas and chemical processing)