2141 Industrial and manufacturing engineers
End of Quick search
Lead statementIndustrial and manufacturing engineers conduct studies, and develop and supervise programs to achieve the best use of equipment, human resources, technology, materials and procedures to enhance efficiency and productivity. Industrial and manufacturing engineers are employed in consulting firms, manufacturing and processing companies, in government, financial, health care and other institutions, or they may be self-employed.
- computer integrated manufacturing (CIM) engineer
- plant engineer
- production engineer
- work measurement engineer
- fire prevention engineer
- industrial engineer
- safety engineer
- quality control engineer
- manufacturing engineer
- A bachelor's degree in industrial engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
- A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
- Industrial engineers develop and implement organizational and management systems, and manufacturing engineers design production processes.
- There is considerable mobility between industrial engineering specializations at the less senior levels.
- Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
- Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practise in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
- Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- Engineering managers
- Mechanical engineers
- Metallurgical and materials engineers
- Organizational analysts
11221122 Professional occupations in business management consulting)