2134 Chemical engineers
End of Quick search
Lead statementChemical engineers research, design, and develop chemical processes and equipment, oversee the operation and maintenance of industrial chemical, plastics, pharmaceutical, resource, pulp and paper, and food processing plants and perform duties related to chemical quality control, environmental protection and biochemical or biotechnical engineering. Chemical engineers are employed in a wide range of manufacturing and processing industries, consulting firms, government, research and educational institutions.
- adhesives engineer
- environmental chemical engineer
- chemical process engineer
- industrial hygiene engineer
- pulp and paper engineer
- industrial waste treatment engineer
- liquid fuels engineer
- petrochemical engineer
- refinery engineer
- waste treatment engineer
- biotechnical engineer
- polymer engineer
- chemical process control engineer
- chemical project engineer
- biochemical engineer
- pipeline transport engineer
- A bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
- A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
- There is considerable mobility between chemical engineering specializations at the less senior levels.
- Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
- Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practise in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
- Chemical engineers work closely with chemists and other scientists and engineers and mobility is possible between some fields of specialization.
- Agricultural and biomedical engineers
21482148 Other professional engineers, n.e.c.)
- Civil environmental engineers
21312131 Civil engineers)
- Engineering managers
- Metallurgical and materials engineers
- Petroleum engineers
- Process control engineers with electrical or electronic specialization
21332133 Electrical and electronics engineers)