2132 Mechanical engineers
End of Quick search
Lead statementMechanical engineers research, design and develop machinery and systems for heating, ventilating and air conditioning, power generation, transportation, processing and manufacturing. They also perform duties related to the evaluation, installation, operation and maintenance of mechanical systems. Mechanical engineers are employed by consulting firms, by power-generating utilities and in a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries, or they may be self-employed.
- acoustics engineer
- power generation engineer
- design engineer – mechanical
- energy conservation engineer
- mechanical engineer
- nuclear engineer
- fluid mechanics engineer
- heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) engineer
- refrigeration engineer
- tool engineer
- thermal design engineer
- robotics engineer
- piping engineer
- mechanical maintenance engineer
- automotive engineer
- A bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
- A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
- There is considerable mobility between mechanical engineering specializations at the less senior levels.
- Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
- Mechanical engineers work closely with civil, electrical, aerospace, chemical, industrial and other engineers, and mobility is possible between some fields of specialization in these disciplines.
- Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practise in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
- Engineering managers
- Industrial and manufacturing engineers
- Metallurgical and materials engineers
- Power engineers or stationary engineers
92419241 Power engineers and power systems operators)