2123 Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists
End of Quick search
Lead statementAgricultural representatives, consultants and specialists provide assistance and advice to farmers on all aspects of farm management, cultivation, fertilization, harvesting, soil erosion and composition, disease prevention, nutrition, crop rotation and marketing. They are employed by businesses, institutions and governments that assist the farming community, or they may be self-employed.
- agricultural consultant
- agricultural extension supervisor
- agricultural livestock specialist
- agricultural representative
- agricultural soil and crop specialist
- consulting agrologist
- crop specialist
- farm management consultant
- field service adviser – agriculture
- field service agent – agriculture
- growers' advisor
- professional agrologist (P.Ag.)
- Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Provide counselling and advisory services to farmers on crop cultivation and fertilization, harvesting, animal and poultry care, disease prevention, farm management, farm financing, marketing and other agricultural subjects
- Prepare and conduct advisory information sessions and lectures for farmers and other groups
- Conduct research, analyze agricultural data and prepare research reports
- Liaise with researchers, educators and government or business managers on matters pertaining to farming and agriculture
- Maintain records of services provided and the effects of advice given.
- A bachelor's or master's degree in agriculture or in a related science is required.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in a provincial institute of agrology is usually required.
- In Quebec, membership in the Ordre professionnel des agronomes is mandatory.
- Progression to management positions is possible with experience.
- Agricultural engineers
21482148 Other professional engineers, n.e.c.)
- Agrology technologists and technicians
22212221 Biological technologists and technicians)
- Biologists and related scientists
- Landscape and horticulture technicians and specialists
- Managers of agricultural extension and consulting services
02120212 Architecture and science managers)
- Managers responsible for agricultural economic policy
04120412 Government managers - economic analysis, policy development and program administration)