2111 Physicists and astronomers
End of Quick search
Lead statementPhysicists conduct theoretical and applied research to extend knowledge of natural phenomena and to develop new processes and devices in fields such as electronics, communications, power generation and distribution, aerodynamics, optics and lasers, remote sensing, biotechnology, medicine and health. They are employed by electronic, electrical and aerospace manufacturing companies, telecommunications companies, power utilities, university and government research laboratories, hospitals and by a wide range of other processing, manufacturing, and research and consulting firms. Astronomers conduct observational and theoretical research to extend knowledge of the universe. They are employed by government and universities.
- acoustics physicist
- atmospheric physicist
- experimental physicist
- health physicist
- medical physicist
- nuclear physicist
- optics physicist
- plasma physicist
- radio astronomer
- research scientist, aerospace
- research scientist, electronics
- research scientist, physics
- research scientist, remote sensing
- solid-state physicist
- Physicists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Design and conduct research in experimental and theoretical physics
- Carry out analysis of research data and prepare research reports
- Participate as a member of a research or development team in the design and development of experimental, industrial or medical equipment, instrumentation and procedures.
- Astronomers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Design and conduct observational surveys, conduct detailed analyses and develop numerical models to extend knowledge of celestial bodies and cosmic radiation
- Develop or participate in the development of instrumentation and software for astronomical observation and analysis.
- Physicists usually require a master's or doctoral degree in a field of physics, engineering physics, or in a related discipline.
- Astronomers usually require a master's or doctoral degree in astronomy or in a related discipline.
- Mobility between specializations within physics and within astronomy is possible with experience.
- Physicists may work closely with and perform some of the duties of engineers.
- Mobility is possible to the fields of meteorology, geophysics and other fields of science.
- Progression to management positions is possible with experience.
- Architecture and science managers
- Atmospheric physicists
21142114 Meteorologists and climatologists)
- Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- Geophysicists and physical oceanographers
21132113 Geoscientists and oceanographers)