1423 Desktop publishing operators and related occupations
End of Quick search
Lead statementDesktop publishing operators use computers to enter copy into a typesetting system or operate typesetting output equipment to produce text that is ready to print. They are employed by firms that specialize in typesetting, commercial printing companies, publishing and printing companies and various establishments in the public and private sectors that have in-house printing departments.
- braille keyboard operator
- compositor – typesetting
- computer typesetter
- copy marker – typesetting
- desktop compositor
- desktop publishing (DTP) operator
- input operator – typesetting
- markup person
- output operator – typesetting
- photocomposition typesetter
- phototypesetter operator
- The following is a summary of the main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Desktop publishing operators operate desktop publishing software and equipment to design, lay out and produce camera-ready copy and may perform pre-flight operator duties.
- Markup persons mark copy with computer codes and typographic instructions before it is typeset.
- Typesetting input operators input copy, codes or commands and subsequent corrections into typesetting device or system; operate media conversion equipment to process and format copy transmitted through telecommunications.
- Typesetting output operators operate and tend typesetting output devices, load and process photosensitive material and perform routine maintenance.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program in graphic arts, or other training in typography, computer typesetting or desktop publishing, is usually required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible through experience.
- Copy stylists, mechanical artists and paste-up artists
52235223 Graphic arts technicians)
- Desktop publishing operator supervisors
12111211 Supervisors, general office and administrative support workers)
- Graphic designers and illustrators
- Pre-flight and file preparation operators
94729472 Camera, platemaking and other prepress occupations)
14521452 Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks)