1254 Statistical officers and related research support occupations
End of Quick search
Lead statementStatistical officers and related research support occupations in this unit group provide statistical and research support services to a wide range of businesses and organizations. These workers conduct statistical routines, monitor trends, compile data and prepare charts, graphs, summaries and reports in support of organizational information needs and research activities. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors. Statistical officers who are also supervisors are included in this unit group.
- research assistant – generalist (except university)
- research support officer
- social research assistant (except university)
- statistical officer
- technical research assistant (except post-secondary)
- Statistical officers and related research support workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Compile tables, charts, graphs and summarized statistics for integration in research papers and reports
- Process data using statistical software to conduct basic analyses of trends in support of research activities
- Collect, consolidate, cross-tabulate and format data from various sources to prepare draft reports for review by supervisors or researchers
- Assist in collection and tracking of data from monitored use of services and provide information to management and client groups
- May prepare technical documents and monitoring reports on volumetrics and other trend analyses
- May supervise statistical and research support workers.
- Completion of secondary school is required. A college diploma or undergraduate degree in a social science, commerce, statistics or a related field is usually required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience. Progression to professional occupations in statistics and research usually requires completion of a post-graduate degree.
- Data entry clerks
- Mathematicians, statisticians and actuaries
- Policy and program researchers, consultants and officers
- Survey interviewers and statistical clerks