1241 Administrative assistants
End of Quick search
Lead statementAdministrative assistants perform a variety of administrative duties in support of managerial and professional employers. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors.
- administrative assistant
- executive secretary (except legal and medical)
- office administrative assistant
- private secretary
- secretary (except legal and medical)
- technical secretary
- Administrative assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare, key in, edit and proofread correspondence, invoices, presentations, brochures, publications, reports and related material from machine dictation and handwritten copy
- Open and distribute incoming regular and electronic mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments and organizations
- Schedule and confirm appointments and meetings of employer
- Order office supplies and maintain inventory
- Answer telephone and electronic enquiries and relay telephone calls and messages
- Set up and maintain manual and computerized information filing systems
- Determine and establish office procedures
- Greet visitors, ascertain nature of business and direct visitors to employer or appropriate person
- Record and prepare minutes of meetings
- Arrange travel schedules and make reservations
- May compile data, statistics and other information to support research activities
- May supervise and train office staff in procedures and in use of current software.
- May organize conferences
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a one- or two-year college or other program for administrative assistants or secretaries
or Previous clerical experience is required.
- Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations
- Executive assistants
- Legal administrative assistants
- Medical administrative assistants
- Office managers
12211221 Administrative officers)