0511 Library, archive, museum and art gallery managers
End of Quick search
Lead statementThis unit group includes managers who plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of libraries, archives, museums, art galleries or departments within such institutions. They are employed in libraries, archives, museums and non-retail art galleries.
- archives director
- assistant director of archives
- chief librarian
- executive director, museum
- library director
- manager, art gallery
- museum administrator
- Library, archive, museum and art gallery managers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of a library or library system, archive or archive system, museum or art gallery or a technical department within such an institution
- Develop and administer policies and programs
- Prepare and administer budgets
- Develop, promote and implement public relations and promotional programs
- Prepare funding and grant applications and proposals
- Prepare operational and financial reports, analyses and recommendations
- Recruit and provide training for professional, technical and clerical staff
- May perform the duties of a librarian, archivist or curator in smaller institutions.
Library, archive, museum and art gallery managers may specialize in a specific type of collection.
- Library managers
- A graduate degree in library and information science
Several years of experience as a librarian, including supervisory experience are required.
- Archive managers
- A graduate degree in archival science or history
Several years of experience as an archivist or in historical research, including supervisory experience are required.
- Museum and art gallery managers
- A graduate degree related to a particular collection or a training program in arts administration
Several years of experience as a curator, conservator or artist or experience in other related museum and art gallery work are usually required.
- There is mobility between library and archive managers and between museum and art gallery managers.
- Conservators and curators
- Managers of records management departments
01140114 Other administrative services managers)