0422 School principals and administrators of elementary and secondary education
End of Quick search
Lead statementSchool principals plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of teachers and other staff of an elementary or secondary school. They are employed by public and private schools. Administrators of elementary and secondary education plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the academic affairs of a school system. They are employed by school boards.
- administrator, board of education
- chief superintendent – schools
- director of education, correctional institution
- director of school for the hearing impaired
- district school superintendent
- headmaster/mistress, private school
- school principal
- secondary school principal
- superintendent of elementary education
- superintendent of secondary schools
- superintendent of special education
- vice-principal, school
- A bachelor's degree in education is required.
- A master's degree in education may be required.
- Several years of experience as a senior teacher or department head are required.
- A teacher's certificate for the province of employment is required.
- School principals may require a principal's certificate.
- Administrators of elementary and secondary education may require a supervisory officer certificate.
- There is little mobility between institutional settings, for example, between elementary and secondary schools.
- Administrators - post-secondary education and vocational training
- Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers
- Government managers - education policy development and program administration
- Senior managers - health, education, social and community services and membership organizations