0016 Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities
End of Quick search
Lead statementSenior managers in this unit group plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through middle managers, the overall operations of goods production, utility, transportation and construction companies. They formulate policies which establish the direction to be taken by these companies, either alone or in conjunction with other members of a board of directors. They work in establishments throughout the following industries: fishing, forestry, logging and agriculture; mining, oil and gas extraction; construction; transportation and warehousing; printing; manufacturing; and utilities.
- chief executive officer (CEO) – manufacturing company
- chief financial officer (CFO) – urban transit system
- corporate controller, logging company
- executive vice-president – railway
- general manager, trucking company
- president, residential construction company
- publishing house general manager
- regional vice-president, petroleum production company
- vice-president, finance – mining company
- vice-president, marketing – airline
- vice-president, operations – electric power company
- vice-president, sales – pulp and paper manufacturing
- A university degree or college diploma in engineering, business administration, commerce or other discipline related to the company's product is usually required.
- Several years of experience as a middle manager in goods production, utilities, transportation or construction are usually required.
- Specialization in a particular functional area or product is possible through specific university or college training in that area or through previous experience.
- Senior managers in finance usually require a professional accounting designation.
- There is mobility among senior management occupations.
ExclusionsRelated middle managers are classified in the following unit and minor groups:
- Managers in construction and facility operation and maintenance
- Managers in manufacturing and utilities
- Managers in natural resources production and fishing