8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying
End of Quick search
Lead statementSupervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate activities of workers engaged in underground and surface mining operations and quarries. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral mines and quarries.
- fill foreman/woman – underground mining
- foreman/woman, underground mine
- mine captain
- mine foreman/woman
- supervisor, mine
- supervisor, quarry
- supervisor, surface mine
- track boss – underground mining
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who extract coal, minerals and ore; operate underground conveyances; and perform other services in support of underground mining, or of heavy equipment operators, drillers, blasters and other workers in surface mining and quarrying
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and confer with managerial and technical personnel, other departments and contractors to resolve problems and co-ordinate activities
- Oversee the safety of the mining or quarrying operations
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train workers in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college or university program in mining technology or engineering may be required for some positions in this group.
- Several years of experience in the occupations supervised are usually required.
- Provincial certification as an underground mine supervisor, shift boss, or coal mining supervisor may be required.
- There is mobility between employers, especially for supervisors with post-secondary diplomas or degrees.
- Mobility between surface mining, underground mining, coal or metal mining sectors may be limited by differences in production technologies and licensing requirements.