7316 Machine fitters
End of Quick search
Lead statementMachine fitters fit, assemble and otherwise build heavy industrial machinery and transportation equipment, including aircraft engines. They are employed in industrial machinery and transportation equipment manufacturing industries.
- aircraft engine fitter
- assembly fitter
- heavy equipment fitter
- machine builder
- machine fitter
- machine tool builder
- mechanical fitter
Machine fitters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret blueprints, sketches and diagrams to determine assembly operations
- Fit and assemble prefabricated metal parts to build heavy industrial machinery and equipment such as construction, farming, and processing machinery, railway vehicles and aircraft engines
- Move and align subassemblies and components using lifting and transporting devices such as overhead cranes
- Install major components such as gears, pumps, motors or hydraulic assemblies
- Inspect parts, subassemblies and finished products to ensure quality.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a mechanical apprenticeship program, such as millwrighting, machining, pipefitting, automotive service or heavy equipment repair
or Completion of a four-year machine fitter apprenticeship program
or Completion of five years of on-the-job training is usually required.
- Completion of a two- to three-year college program in aircraft manufacturing or general fabrication is required for aircraft engine fitters.
- Certification in a related trade may be required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.