7247 Cable television service and maintenance technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementCable television service technicians install, maintain and repair cable and satellite television and Internet signal and associated equipment in homes and commercial buildings. Cable television maintenance technicians maintain and repair cable television transmission and distribution systems and associated hardware. They are employed by cable and satellite television companies.
- cable television installer
- cablevision servicer
- CATV technician
- direct broadcast satellite (DBS) technician – cable television
- installation technician, cable television
- maintenance technician, cable television
Cable television service technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Communicate with subscribers and company personnel to determine work assignments
- Connect, disconnect and relocate cable outlets, install splitters, converters, decoders, satellite and pay TV equipment, and install other cable hardware and systems at subscriber's premises
- Install cable modems and software to enable Internet access at subscriber's premises
- Inspect, test and repair cable and satellite television signals and associated equipment at subscriber's premises.
Cable television maintenance technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Maintain and repair main aerial and underground coaxial and fibre optic cable television transmission lines, trunking and related distribution and interconnecting systems including power supplies and amplifiers
- Inspect, monitor, test and adjust cable transmission and distribution systems
- Repair or replace faulty cables, power supplies, amplifiers and other associated transmission and distribution equipment
- Climb and work aloft on poles, ladders or other support structures
- Communicate with other workers to co-ordinate the preparation and completion of work assignments.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program in electronics
or A combination of college, correspondence or industry courses related to electronics and electrical systems and on-the-job training
or Completion of a four-year cable television technician apprenticeship program is required.
- Trade certification for cable television technicians is available, but voluntary, in British Columbia and the Yukon.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.