6344 Jewellers, jewellery and watch repairers and related occupations
End of Quick search
Lead statementJewellers and related workers fabricate, assemble, repair and appraise fine jewellery. Watch repairers and related workers repair, clean, adjust and fabricate parts for clocks and watches. They are employed by jewellery, clock and watch manufacturers and retail stores, by jewellery and watch repair shops or they may be self-employed.
- clock repairer
- diamond cutter
- gem cutter
- pearl cutter
- precious stone setter
- watch repairer
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Jewellers and related workers
- Fabricate and repair precious and semi-precious metal jewellery, such as rings, brooches, pendants, bracelets and lockets
- Examine, cut, shape and polish diamonds using optical instruments, lathes and laps
- Examine, cut, shape and polish precious and synthetic gems using optical instruments, cutting disks and laps
- Appraise gemstones and diamonds to differentiate between stones, identify rare specimens and to detect peculiarity affecting stone values
- Set precious and semi-precious stones in jewellery mountings, according to specifications
- May supervise other jewellers.
- Fabricate or fit parts to make watches and clocks
- Examine clocks and watches, disassemble and check for defective and misaligned parts or rust
- Replace or repair worn or broken parts
- Test, adjust and regulate timepiece movements
- Clean all parts using special cleaning and rinsing solutions and ultrasonic or mechanical cleaning machines to remove dirt and dried lubricants
- May supervise other watch repairers.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a college or other program, or apprenticeship training in watch or jewellery repair or gemology is usually required.
- Trade certification as a gemsetter is available, but voluntary, in Ontario.
- Experience as a jewellery, clock or watch assembler may be required.
- Mobility is possible among the various jewellery occupations in this unit group.
- There is little mobility between the jewellery occupations and the watch repairers in this unit group.