5223 Graphic arts technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementGraphic arts technicians assist in conceptualizing a project, interpreting design specifications or sketches, preparing the page make-up, lay-out and lettering, and preparing production materials for press, electronic or multimedia publishing. They are employed by publishing, communications, advertising, marketing, printing and multimedia establishments, and by television and film production companies. They may also be self-employed.
- animated cartoon technician
- animation painter
- computer graphics technician
- graphics technician
- multimedia graphic design technician
- animation camera operator
- poster painter
Graphic arts technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Review the graphic designer's instructions
- Produce or assist in developing and producing design concepts
- Capture elements such as titles, text, drawings, illustrations, graphics, lettering and colour harmonization, using a computer
- Produce computerized images and drawings
- Digitize images using peripherals and transform them using retouching systems, graphic palettes or specialized software
- Perform the layout, page make-up and placement using the conceptual mock-ups provided
- Produce proofs and camera-ready materials and prepare film and any other prepress materials
- Paint or ink individual cells of 2-D or 3-D animated drawings according to animator's specifications using an electronic palette
- Lay out, draw or paint letters, figures, logos and designs for windows, advertisements, billboards, vehicles, books and publications using specialized software or painting equipment
- Work in an interdisciplinary environment.
- A college diploma in commercial or graphic arts, computer graphics or animated design is required.
- Experience or training in multimedia design at a post-secondary, college or technical institution may be required.
- Creative ability and artistic talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, are required.
- Progression to graphic designer positions is possible with experience or supplementary training.