4423 By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers, n.e.c.
End of Quick search
Lead statementOfficers and inspectors in this unit group enforce by-laws and regulations of provincial and municipal governments. They are employed by provincial and municipal governments and agencies.
- animal control officer
- by-law enforcement officer
- commercial transport inspector
- garbage collection inspector
- liquor licence inspector
- parking control officer
- property standards inspector
- taxi inspector
- zoning inspector
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Animal control officers
- Respond to citizen complaints concerning stray domestic animals, livestock and wildlife
- Issue warnings and citations to owners
- Impound lost, homeless and dangerous animals.
By-law enforcement officers
- Enforce municipal and provincial regulations
- Investigate complaints
- Issue warnings and citations to commercial and residential property owners and occupants.
Commercial transport inspectors
- Inspect commercial vehicles to ensure compliance with regulations governing load restrictions, the transportation of hazardous materials and public safety.
Garbage collection inspectors
- Investigate complaints concerning infractions of garbage collection by-laws.
Liquor licence inspectors
- Conduct inspections of licensed establishments
- Advise licencees on laws and regulations
- Report contravention of laws and regulations to provincial liquor control boards and agencies.
Parking control officers
- Enforce parking by-laws on city streets, regional roads and municipal properties.
- Inspect taxicabs for mechanical reliability, cleanliness, licensing and meter accuracy
- Investigate public complaints, issue citations and prepare reports
- Give evidence to city councils, taxi commissions and in court.
- Investigate properties in violation of zoning and related by-laws, after receiving requests for licence clearances pertaining to zoning and related by-laws, and on receipt of building permit applications.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program or courses in law and security or other related field
or experience in a related administrative or regulatory occupation is usually required.
- Zoning inspectors or zoning enforcement officers may require a college diploma as a civil engineering or architectural technologist or technician and several years of experience in enforcement and/or building construction or a related field.
- On-the-job training is provided.