2252 Industrial designers
End of Quick search
Lead statementIndustrial designers conceptualize and produce designs for manufactured products. They are employed by manufacturing industries and private design firms or they may be self-employed.
- furniture designer
- industrial design consultant
- industrial designer
- industrial products designer
- product designer
Industrial designers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Consult with client, engineers or production specialists to establish product requirements
- Analyze the intended use of product and user preferences
- Conduct research into cost, properties of production materials and methods of production
- Develop manual and computer-assisted design (CAD) concepts, sketches or models for approval
- Prepare manufacturing drawings, specifications and guidelines for production and construct prototype of design
- Consult with engineers and production staff during manufacturing stage.
- A university degree in industrial design, architecture, engineering
or a college diploma in industrial design is required.
- Creative ability, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, is required.
- There is mobility between positions in this unit group.
- Mobility is possible to other design occupations.