5136 Painters, sculptors and other visual artists
End of Quick search
Lead statementPainters, sculptors and other visual artists create original paintings, drawings, sculptures, engravings and other artistic works. They are usually self-employed. This group also includes art instructors and teachers, who are usually employed by art schools.
- art teacher (except primary, secondary and post-secondary education)
- artistic painter
- portrait painter
- silkscreen artist
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Create drawings, paintings and other artwork using oils, pastels, watercolours, charcoal, ink and other media.
- Create sculptures, statues and other three-dimensional artwork by shaping, carving and working with materials such as clay, ice, paper, stone, wood or metal.
Art instructors and teachers
- Teach students the techniques and methods of drawing, painting, sculpting and other forms of artistic expression.
- Creative ability and talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, and knowledge of the safe use of materials, tools and equipment are required. Art programs are offered at universities, colleges and private art schools.
- A college diploma in fine arts techniques may be required.
- Art instructors and teachers may be required to have a university degree or college diploma in a field related to art.